Questions about Car Insurance In Kentucky

Kentucky Car Insurance FAQs

As a Lexington personal injury attorney, Julie Butcher has helped many people who were involved in car accidents.  Through her experience and knowledge of Kentucky law and the dangers of being uninsured or underinsured, she has developed the following guidelines for the wise purchase of auto insurance. Her recommendations are to protect you and your Loved ones. .

How much car insurance liability coverage do I need in Kentucky?

You should buy at least $50,000/100,000 of bodily injury liability coverage.  If you can afford it, you would be well advised to get $100,000/300,000.  This means that if you cause a car accident, your insurance would pay up to $100,000 per person injured and up to $300,000 for injuries in the entire accident.  It is extremely important that you purchase more than the minimum limits under Kentucky law of $25,000/50,000.

How much uninsured (UM) and underinsured (UIM) motorist’s coverage should I buy?

As much as you can. You can buy up to the same limits as you have in bodily injury liability coverage.  The UM and UIM protects you and your resident household members regardless of the vehicle you are in at the time of injury. In other words, it follows you and pays in case the person who hurt you doesn’t have enough or any bodily injury liability coverage. It is some of the least expensive yet necessary insurance you can buy.

Do I have to get added personal injury protection (also called PIP or no-fault)?

In Kentucky it is mandatory to have $10,000, and that isn’t enough if you are seriously hurt. You can buy extra PIP coverage in $10,000 increments. You should get at least $20,000, but try to get $30,000 if you can afford it. The additional part of your PIP coverage also follows you regardless of the vehicle you are in at the time of injury. This coverage also applies even if you are to blame for the accident. This coverage is an even better value than UM and UIM.  Absolutely do not get a deductible on this coverage.

Do I really need collision coverage?

If you have a lien on your vehicle, you have to have collision coverage. I suggest you get collision and comprehensive coverage even if you don’t have a loan on your vehicle. If something happens to your vehicle, whether it’s your fault or someone else’s, you may not be able to afford another vehicle right away. Think of all the things you can’t do if you don’t have transportation—getting to doctor’s appointments, going to work, purchasing groceries and medications, etc. This is the coverage that usually costs the most, especially if you have prior accidents. The only thing you can do to save on collision coverage is to have a higher deductible. Deductibles are usually available in the following increments–$250, $500 and $1,000. If you buy a new car and owe a lot on it, you should get gap coverage through the car dealer. We all know that a car depreciates significantly the moment you drive it off the car lot and if it gets totaled, you don’t want to owe more than the car is worth.

What kind of payment plan is best?

Some insurance companies will allow you to pay premiums monthly.  I do not recommend this. First, you will pay more. Second, if you forget to pay and get canceled, it will be almost impossible to find replacement insurance—at least any you can afford.

For more than 25 years the professionals of the Julie Butcher Law Office have been helping personal injury victims throughout the Bluegrass State to recover the compensation they deserve. When you entrust your problems to us, you’ll get compassion, integrity and results.  If we can help you after a car accident or if you have other questions about auto insurance coverage, we’ll be glad to give you our full attention – and the initial consultation will be at no charge.  Call us today at our local number:  (859) 233-3641; or use our toll-free number:  866-77JULIE.  If you prefer, you may use our online inquiry form.